Horse Logging Service in your woods...
Low impact harvest methods
Horse logging using worst-first single tree selection is called “restorative forestry”. This method looks closely at each individual tree to determine which ones to harvest. Trees damaged by previous skidding, disease, fire, over-crowding, or weather are removed first. Every tree that is cut is carefully felled to avoid damaging other remaining trees with high value potential.
Grow high quality timber
Restorative forestry has been found to increase the amount of high quality commercial timber taken from a given site over time. Crop tree management focuses on releasing individual, selected trees to maximize their growth by removing nearby diseased and damaged trees. Research conducted on hardwoods in West Virginia (Perkey, Wikins, and Smith, USDA Forest Service, January 1994) indicates that a crop tree “free to grow” may increase in diamter 2-3 times more rapidly than unmanaged stands.
Our harvest techniques can provide income to the landowner every 10-20 years. It is an ongoing management system rather than total clearcut harvest rotation every 75 years.
Benefits of Restorative Forestry and Horse Power
- Minimal soil disturbance and erosion
- Restores the health and ecological diversity of your forest
- Increases the development of top dollar timber
- Cultivates large, majestic, valuable trees
- Preserves the beauty and recreational use of the forest and can create a trail network
- Helps protect air and water quality
- Protects wildlife habitats
- Requires very little or no road building
- Supports the local economy